Saturday, May 25, 2013

Crabby Baby Quilt

No, not for a crabby baby!

The couple I made this quilt for last year are now having a baby in July.  Their wedding was on the beach last year and they chose a beach theme for their nursery.  I just got back from the shower and boy did she get a lot of ocean themed gifts!  

This quilt is my interpretation of the ocean/beach theme.  I finished it at 10 am and the shower began at 11:30 (plenty of time!  Gotta love a deadline!!!)



I tried to make the beach, water and sky.  I used different quilting stitches in each color, too.  The crabs came from Patches, a local quilt store. We live in Maryland so crabs are on many items.  I ironed them on and quilted around them as I went.  


One of my favorite things about this quilt is actually the back.  I used minky so it is very soft and has a nice weight to it.  I absolutely adore how the wavy quilting and the crabs show up on the back!  So cute!



I quilted the pebbles with pebble quilting!  Ha!


 I got to use some beachy and watery fabric from my stash.  I did buy that fabric with the cute little blue crabs.


 As I was making the quilt, I cut each layer with both layers right side up on top of each other.  Then I used the curve method to sew them together by bringing the part under the foot together about an inch before you sew it.  No pins!

I did have to rip one out and try again as I must have pulled it too hard and it was a little ripply.  And I ripped out some of the quilting that was really horrible because I forgot to put down the presser foot (it is hard to tell on my machine with the darning foot-is it like this on all machines?).  Ahhh!  Adventures in sewing!


The back is not this poofy-just the light I guess.  Can you find the crabs?


I used a light blue crab as the label. Thanks to my daughter for holding the quilt!  See her cute shoes?



 I love to make baby quilts!  The good news is I have a few more to make!

Linking up to:



Fresh Poppy Design
Charm About You