Sunday, September 9, 2012

Unintended Table Topper


The week before I went back to school (teaching Kindergarten), I was given a doll baby bed.  The day before the children were due to arrive, I decided I needed a blanket for the poor dolls.  So I considered just giving them a little flannel blanket, but I am a quilter, so a quilt was in order.






 I sat down at 4 pm on Sunday to make my little quilt.  I sewed the top and as I usually do, pieced a back to use.  Then I looked at the two pieces and thought, these could be two separate quilts.  And they were small enough to just used some yardage as the backings.
So that is what I did.




I had fun using the Jester's Hat quilting pattern from Wendy at  Ivory Spring.  I like how swirly it looks.
I used some Laurel Burch butterflies for the backing for this one.



Close up of the quilting!  I took some liberties with the pattern.
 I finished both little quilts by machine.  When I brought them downstairs, I put this one on our kitchen table and it looked so good, I left it there!  I took the other one to school where the kids have been happily playing with it.  I will have to get a picture of it this week.

In other quilting news, we had a potholder swap.  I was supposed to make a fall themed potholder but I forgot about the theme and made this.  I practiced my swirly quilting.


I am still in love with these cross blocks!





I got back a very cute Halloween potholder from Heather.  I love it. It is a perfect block for Halloween! Can't picture using it, though.  I may have to hang it on the wall.


I am linking up to:

The Girl Creative


Sew Happy Geek
Fresh Poppy Design